History of the village
History and remains in Klátova Nová Ves
A village is situated in the middle region of the river Nitra, 8 kilometres southwest of the town Partizánske. It runs along the stream Vyčoma under northwest hills of Tribeč mountains. Nowadays it also involves the originally independent village Janova Ves and the habitation Sádok.
Archaelogical remains prove neolithic colonization (5000 – 3000 BC), colonization from late Bronze Age (1200 –700 BC) and early Iron Age (700 – 400 BC) when nearby hill-forts Kostrín and Šiance were built. From the 6th century we can observe colonization by the Slavs and in the period of Great Moravia the lands here were granted to the Court favourites. The original village name was after one of them: Hrdovič. When the first parish appeared under the rule of the first Hungarian King Stephan I (997 – 1038), the habitation Čížik (Sádok) with an ancient church became its residence. In early medieval times the surrounding lands were acquired by the first aristocratic families. The most significant were the lords from Krásno owing Janova Ves and the noblemen (court soldiers) settled in nearby Sádok.
The original village Hrdovič was renamed to Nová Ves after the Tartar invasion in 1241-1242 and remained the King’s property until 1299. At this time it is granted to the family Diviak. The family members living in the village took their name from it (Novoveskovci) and by the time they had also bought the lands in nearby Sádok. In the 15th century more mansions are tracked. However, the still existing mansions come from later periods.
At the end of the 16th century there were 54 houses inhabited in the village and it belonged to the largest villages in the region. Since the church in Sádok was remoted and taken by the Protestants a new church was built directly in Klátova Nová Ves in the 17th century. At this time the family members of Novoveskovci were dying out and their property was inherited by the families Horvát and Husár.
After Tartar invasions and uprisings in the 18th century the village is flourishing. In 1779 there were 64 houses inhabited, the old fortified mansion and three thane estates. The local landlords were Kvašaj, Huňady, Bošany, the count Klobušický, Anton Bačkády, etc. In Janova Ves there was the landlord Bošány. There were one mansion, one thane estate, twenty houses and three mills there in this period.
Throughout the second half of the 19th century the dominant village owner became the baron Leopold Haupt-Stummer. He made a large orchard and stud farm here, and during the 1st World War he ordered to build a narrow-track railway. His developed lands were seized in 1945 afterall.
The hill-forts Kostrín and Šiance from early Iron Age (700 – 400 BC) belong to the remains proving the oldest tracks of human activities here. You can see the first one on the top of a steep hill in the south neighbourhood of the village. Its area is an oval with axes 140 and 50 metres. The second one has got an area of 9 hectares. Later it was colonized by the Slavs. Its massive walls surround the top of the hill at the main shoulder of Tribeč in the distance of 7 kilometres south of the village.
The Church of Virgin Mary, the Queen of the Angels in habitation Sádok appears to be one of the ancient and most important architectonic remains. The building is dominant on the hill over the habitation. Its Romance construction classes it to the 12th century. You can admire Romance portales, medieval windows, painted walls, as well as wooden gallery built together with the tower in the 17th century when the church was in charge of the Protestants there. The second church dedicated to the Birth of Virgin Mary which was built later, is placed directly in Klátova Nová Ves. It dates back to 1764 and it replaced the old church from the 17th century. We can be impressed by the modern mosaic of the Slovak artist Vincent Hložník from 1973 in its baroque interior. The latest sacral building is the Chapel of St Alojz from Gonzaga in Janova Ves. It was built in a classicistic style in the half of the 19th century.
From secular architecture buildings there is a renaissance castle from the end of the 16th century built in the central part of the village. It is unique by its angular fortilities with loopholes equipped with ventilation bores. Nowadays it is used as a ceremonial hall. There is a neo-baroque mansion oppposite to the renaissance castle in the English park. The mansion is much bigger compared to the castle. It came into existence in the 19th century when the old baroque building was rebuilt. It is used as a training centre these days. The other mansion with a large English park decorates southeast edge of Janova Ves. Its renessaince and baroque constructions were altered several times. It was in 1906 the last time when the mansion was enlarged with an Art Nouveau villa and fish ponds were made in the surrounding park. The building is used as a sanatorium for children.
The latest technical remains are narrow-track railway built in 1914-1916 and pieces of limestone pit in a solitary place Cibajky in the south direction from the village. It was built in 1929. There are ruined stove and a part of a production shop conserved there.